How long does it take to finish: a powder foundation?

/
0 Comments

I mentioned at the beginning of the month that I'm making November Benefit month, since I've had this kit and Go Tropicoral sitting in my stores since my birthday in June.

I'll do reviews of those two kits once I've had more of a play with them, but for now I've selected the Hello Flawless face powder as one of the products I'll be testing this month in my 'How long does it take to finish...?' bundle of posts.

I started using it on 1 November and I'll be using it every day until it's gone. Shock horror, you think - using a Benefit product every day, even on days when you're not going out?! While like many I do enjoy saving my better products for special occasions, the trouble with doing this is that you often don't get through them until they're past expiry. So I'm making an effort to use the good stuff now and just enjoy it.

In any event, having used the Hello Flawless powder for six days running now, I can confirm that (shock horror again) it's not the best face powder I own. That title goes to Bodyography's range - a range I'll hopefully review prior to Christmas. Seriously, if you haven't tried Bodyography's products, find a stockist if you can (unfortunately there aren't many - yet) and try them out. Alternatively you might be able to pick something up on ebay for a better price than you'd normally find in Australia.


A few things to note:
  • I don't normally use powder foundations on a daily basis (although I might use a light finishing powder most days). My skin is dry and these can settle in lines and make me look older/even drier. So this powder won't be used as my only face product, but I'll be adding it on top of a greasy-but-good Erborian CC cream I have, which does need a coating of powder to balance the oily sunscreen. This means I might use a little less each day than someone who relies on the powder alone for coverage.
  • I've picked this particular powder for this test because it's 'mid-range' in terms of how finely milled and pigmented it is (as a general rule, the thicker/more pigmented the powder is, the less you need to apply). So it's a good 'average' product that will give us a fairly accurate idea of how long most powders last, or thereabouts.
  • This product is 4g in size. So for a standard full-size item (usually around 8g to 10g), you can multiply the results to get an answer for your own product.

It's also worth saying that I recently finished my Revlon Nearly Naked pressed powder. This was 8g in size and lasted more than 6 months - and I worked hard to finish it in the last couple of months by making sure I used it most days. That particular powder was super fine, meaning you could apply layers and layers of it if you wanted to, without looking cakey - so I got through it faster than I might another product.

I've also posed the question of how long full-size powder foundations last in one of the Facebook beauty groups I'm part of. Lasses who use powders daily say they can last anywhere from 3 to 6 months, depending on how good they are. So I guess we can expect this travel size to last around six to eight weeks.

Looking forward to finding out! I reckon knowing how long things last is useful because it can sway your decision when investing in products. Eg, if you know a primer is only going to last a couple of months, do you really want to spend $50+ on it? But if a face powder can last 6 months, then the outlay may be worth it.

I'll check back in with updates soon : )


Verdict

And we're done! I finished the last little bit today, 24 December, meaning that this little 4g travel size of powder lasted just under two months. So I guess I can expect to go through around 2g of powder foundation every month.

The results will obviously vary depending on the pigment in a particular product and how much a person uses it, how much they use each time etc, but considering what others have said and my own previous experience, I think 2g per month is a pretty reasonable average.

I'm glad I know this because it gives me an idea of how long it will take me to get through the couple of powders I have on hand. I certainly don't need any new ones for a while!

How long does it usually take you to finish a powder foundation? I'm always interested in seeing how long things last : )


You may also like

No comments:

littlewhitetruths. Powered by Blogger.