Now playing #2: update

/
0 Comments
It's high time for my second 'now playing' update post (here's the initial post), so I can move a third round of products into circulation. 

For the background on these posts, see here. Essentially I wanted to make sure that my makeup collection was getting put to good use, and this seemed the right way to do it.

Here are the products I've been playing with (and note I added another sample base because I ran out of the first one so quickly - see below):


I wanted to include a mix of products (eg, complexion v colour etc), and basically use anything that either hasn't seen the light of day for a while, or doesn't get used enough.

My aim is also to see if I can find new and interesting ways to use the products I own. This is helping me with my beauty spending ban because it keeps reminding me that I really don't need any more stuff!


Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics Lip Tar in Cha Cha

Full review here. So many people love these products, but I found that this one sits in ridges and dry patches on my lips, so you can really see it and I need to wear another product over the top (like a gloss) if I don't want it to look patchy. Because of these issues, it hasn't had a lot of use.

What I've found over the past few weeks is that, when mixed with a gloss (see below), it looks much better but lasts all of about two seconds on my lips.


What I can do is apply it and then blot it (see below) so it's more like a stain, and it can then function pretty well as a lip liner.


Below I've put another product over it and it does work well enough as a base product/liner. The only thing I would say is that it works better with cream products (the below is matte) because it is drying and can make my lips look wrinkly.


Finally, it can be used to mix with lip colours that are too pink for me (so I can turn them coral), and it also works well enough as a cheek stain.


Eve Lom Tinted Moisturiser in #9 Wheat

I picked up this sample a couple of months back when I was more tanned, and it's now too dark for me unfortunately. That's not the only issue I found with it however: it's far too thick for me and is more of a foundation than a tint.

There it is below, unblended and blended a little. It's quite yellow and you can tell it's thick for a tinted moisturiser.


There we are below on my face. It's the wrong colour (too yellow) and provides more coverage than I would want. Even though there was quite a bit in the sample pot, I only got three applications from it due to its thickness, which is why I decided to add in another base product to try (the MECCA sample below).


Obviously, I didn't like this product and wouldn't buy it. If you're after a heavier base however (and have the cash!), I think it's a reasonable product. But I can't comment too much because I don't think three applications is enough to write a detailed review.


theBalm Hot Mama! Blush

Full review here. All the products I own from theBalm are fantastic, this one included. I haven't been using this one nearly enough however so I'm glad I gave it a good crack over the last few weeks.

I've discovered that it looks nice layered over a bronzer (see below), which creates a deeper shade that's good for the cooler months.


While I'm glad I own this because I love peach and it's a great shade, the shimmer can accentuate open pores so I need to put a setting powder over the top to manage that issue.

It's also a lovely colour to use as an eyeshadow (peach is a great shade for opening up your eyes), so I can see myself using it for that purpose.


Croquis Alight Pact

Full review here. This is by far the best makeup product I received from Memebox. It's a highlighting powder and it's wonderfully finely milled with no noticeable glitter - it just provides a nice sheen. It's brilliant as an inner corner highlight and is light enough to be used as an illuminating setting powder. In terms of quality, while the powder isn't as fine as those in my Hourglass Ambient Lighting Palette, it does work better than those for certain purposes (eg the inner corner thing).

Below I've applied it on the inner corner and upper lashline. I've applied more than I normally would so you can see it well, but I'd usually keep things gentler so it gives a more natural look.


I really love this. It's one of my favourite products.


Nars Eyeshadow Duo in Charade

Part of the reason I included this Nars duo was so I would review it, but I've made the decision not to do that yet because I own two other Nars duos and I want to use them all enough that I can compare the quality of each when I review them.

This was the first Nars eyeshadow duo I bought with my Christmas giftcards, and I think it's the most interesting and wearable of the Nars matte duos (of which there are unfortunately so very few): the pinker colour especially is one I haven't seen before.

Below I've applied the pinker colour over the entire lid and the purple one in the crease and at the outer corners. I haven't used a primer in this case because I wanted to show how it fares alone, but I do think it needs one to make the colours more intense.


It's a duo that you can pair with just about anything, but I love it with a bronze cheek and a gold highlight. I'm looking forward to writing a full review of this product.


Mecca Cosmetica In a Good Light in Medium SPF 30

Because I got through the Eve Lom sample much faster than anticipated, I decided to add in another sample I had lying around to use it up.

This is a tinted moisturising sunscreen that provides broad spectrum protection against UVA and UVB rays in a hydrating, matte finish cream. It gives skin a sheer tint and a visible, natural radiance. The medium shade is a touch light for me but I can get away with it in the cooler months, particularly because it's so sheer.

See swatch below, unblended on the left and blended on the right. It's definitely sheer!


There it is blended out:


If the Eve Lom tinted moisturiser was far too thick and gave too much coverage, this one doesn't give enough - not for me. Plus for some reason it doesn't seem to build that well so you can't get better coverage if you want it. Also, it's too illuminating - my face looks too shiny when I wear it alone (see below):


There we are again below. It's too glowy (even for me!) and I personally would need to wear a powder over the top to dull the shine factor, but it's all personal choice.


What I do like about it is the consistency and the feel on my face: it spreads well and is nicely moisturising. I wouldn't buy it however due to the issues mentioned above, so my search for my next tint continues!

In sum

Some great products in this bunch and ones I'll continue to get lots of use from. I've already moved the OCC Lip Tar to my Project Pan list so it gets used, and I may well move the Croquis Alight Pact to that list as well just because I love it so much and am keen to use my favourite products every day, as well as those I would like to see the back of.

Now to choose products for my next 'now playing' post!




You may also like

No comments:

littlewhitetruths. Powered by Blogger.