August 2019 empties #3

/
0 Comments

Hello and welcome to my third empties post for the month!

What I'm hoping is that I can actually knock out four empties post this month, for the simple reason that I've been drowning in empties for months now and it's going to make things easier if I can clear out the empties box completely this month and then start from scratch. We'll see.

In no particular order...


Ethique Match, Lime & Lemongrass Bodywash Bar

Full review here. This is the best-value and most effective Ethique soap I've used to date so it's one I recommend if you want to try something from the brand and don't know where to start. 

It has a beautifully refreshing and uplifting scent, and it's harder in texture than other soaps I've tried from Ethique so I find that it doesn't melt away as quickly and it also holds its shape in the shower well, meaning it's lasting me longer so it's better value.

It also lathers up a little, and no other Ethique soap or scrub I've tried to date has done that, so it feels like it cleanses better than the others. Plus it leaves my skin feeling soft and hydrated after use. Repurchase? Yes.

Ethique Coconut & Lime Butter Block

Full review here. I so wanted to love this product because I want a brand like Ethique to do well (I'm all for anyone who doesn't use plastic packaging), but I didn't like this at all.

It's a body lotion in soap form and it has a sickly sweet piña colada scent that I hate, and it's also a hassle to use. Reason being, it takes a while to apply this and I also have to work at it to get it to spread and absorb (which, to be honest, it doesn't do well). The whole process takes too long and it's annoying.

I also finished this far too quickly so it's not good value, and in terms of effect, it leaves my skin feeling waxy and coated, and it's a feeling I don't like. It's also not hydrating enough for my dry skin and it crumbles very easily, which adds to the hassle of the process. Repurchase? No.


Nars Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Let's Go Crazy

This came in a Mecca Beauty Loop box and I was happy to see it because I've wanted to try this formula for a while (a lot of people rave about these), although I've seen that this particular colour isn't a good representation of the formula (it's not up to scratch apparently) so I don't think I've seen the 'true' formula.

It was a bright pink and I didn't review it because I got through it too quickly via Project Pan, plus I honestly couldn't be bothered reviewing it because I didn't like it. It dried out my lips and also travelled outside lip lines, so it wasn't for me and I wouldn't use it again. Purchase? No.

NYX Butter Gloss in Meringue 

Full review here. I've been through quite a few of these glosses now and I absolutely love them so you'll probably be seeing them show up in my empties posts forevermore. 

What I love about these is that they hydrate my lips better than most other lip products I've tried, and they have a plumping effect so they smooth out the look of texture. On top of that, they wear pretty well for glosses and they come in a variety of shades so there should be something for everyone, plus they're cheap and that's always a bonus. 

Meringue was too cool-toned for me so it didn't suit me, and it also sat in lip lines more than any other shade I've tried so I wouldn't buy it again. Still, it was fine for hydration so I was able to get through it. Repurchase? No.


L'Occitane Almond Delicious Hands

Full review here. This is an excellent hand cream and I really enjoyed it. It's a white cream with a thick, rich texture that's not too heavy and it spreads and absorbs well. 

What I like about this is that it relieves any discomfort in my dry skin. It's rich enough for the overnight spot, but it's not so rich that I can't use it for day - and it's rare to find hand creams that work for both day and night I reckon. 

Yes it does leave a slight film on the hands but I don't find it to be too greasy - there's a bit of grease, but it's not so much that my hands feel slippery - and better still, within a few minutes the film is gone and my hands just feel soft, nourished and supple. Repurchase? Yes.

Australis Matchmaker Shade Adjusting Drops in Lightening

Full review here. I need to buy another one of these because they're the best and cheapest, most widely available foundation whitening drops on the market in Australia at the moment, and although they're not perfect, they do work and I'll certainly use another bottle.

They're good for lightening bases that are a little too dark for me, but they're not so good when I need to add more of them to an even darker base because they can change the formula and they can also make things look ashy because they're white: I'd prefer to see these done in eg pale yellow, pale pink, pale beige etc. Still, they're functional. Repurchase? Yes.


Body Blendz Sugar Glow Body Scrub

While this isn't the best body scrub I've used (or the best coffee scrub I've ever found), I still really like it and it's the best one I've found recently. I've reviewed it here.

While dry scrubs are quite messy and a hassle to use, I still really enjoy them and I always like having one in my shower, and this one smells like coffee and caramel so I love using it for the scent alone. Yum.

I love that my skin always feels polished and refreshed after use, and I also like that two applications a week is enough to keep my skin feeling softer and looking brighter. I also like that this brand is readily available at the chemist and often on special, so it's easy to get hold of cheaply and that's a plus. Repurchase? Yes.

L'Occitane Almond Shower Oil

Full review here. While this oil costs more than what I would typically pay for a body product, it's super luxe and I'm really enjoying it so I think it's worth the price-tag.

It has a sweet scent that's not overpowering and the texture is rich and gorgeous. Once you add water, it thins out beautifully and also lathers up nicely so it spreads out and cleans the skin well.

It also feels beautifully hydrating and nourishing on my dry skin, and what I find after use is that my skin feels soft, clean and moisturised. It's just a lovely product and I recommend it. I've even given it an HG tag. I've been using it daily over the winter and I'll need to buy it again next year because I enjoy it so much. Repurchase? Yes.


Evo The Great Hydrator Moisture Mask 

This is described as an intensely hydrating moisture mask for hair that is dry or coarse. It should moisturise and smooth colour-damaged, dry and frizzy hair. It conditions, adds moisture, enhances shine, reduces frizz and greatly improves hair manageability.

I haven't reviewed this because I only used it three times, but what I will say is that it has a very thick, almost balm-like texture that makes it really hard to wash out, so it can leave my locks looking dull and feeling coated. While I do think it adds some nourishment, it doesn't do much for shine or detangling my hair, and it doesn't help with thickness either. Indeed, I've used much better masks than this one (cheaper ones too) so I wouldn't buy it for myself. Purchase? No.

Trilogy Ultra Hydrating Hand Cream

Full review here. I don't mind this hand cream but I do prefer products that I can use for both day and night so I probably wouldn't buy it again. 

It's on the thick and rich side, and it smells like vanilla, orange and amber. It spreads and absorbs well, and I like how hydrating and nourishing it feels on the skin. Once applied, it leaves a slightly greasy residue that's fine for night use but I don't like applying it during the day because I need to wipe my hands down before eg I use my computer. I don't like having to do that (with a toddler and a pre-schooler, it's hard enough to find the time to apply hand cream in the first place), so I tend to use things I can whack on at any time of day because that makes my life easier. Repurchase? No.

In sum

That's all from me. I'm glad I've knocked out another empties post for the month and I hope there's another one to come before month's end.

My favourite items in this lot were the two from L'Occitane, the Ethique soap and Body Blendz scrub. 

Hope all's well with you, and speak soon x


You may also like

No comments:

littlewhitetruths. Powered by Blogger.