August 2019 empties #4

/
0 Comments

Hello and welcome to another empties post for the month.

I'm pleased that I've managed to get four empties posts up this month because I've been drowning in finished products for a while and I've wanted to get ahead of things so that the empties box isn't so full. Hopefully we're there now.

Let's have a look.


Alpha-H Liquid Gold

Full review here. I love this product and I've been using it for years. What I love about it is that it resurfaces my skin beautifully, leaving my face looking brighter, fresher and healthier.

It also helps with clarity so it clears pores and means I get less blemishes, plus it leaves me with smoother, more youthful-looking skin. On top of that, one of these bottles normally lasts me almost a year so it's good value and it's been an HG of mine for years for a reason. Repurchase? Already have.

Jurlique Purely Age Defying Mist

This is a nice face mist and I've enjoyed testing it. Nevertheless, it's expensive for what it is and I personally wouldn't buy the full-size for myself because it doesn't suit my personal needs. I've reviewed it here.

What I like about it is that it feels very soothing and cooling when applied. Indeed, it would be a great product for summer because it's so refreshing. It also feels a little hydrating, and while it's not the most hydrating mist I've used (I have dry skin and need something with more punch), it still does something and I think it would be enough for me in summer when my skin isn't so dry. What I don't like about it is that the spray itself isn't fine enough, so it leaves little droplets on my face that can create holes in my makeup. Annoying. Purchase? No.


NYX Butter Gloss in Gelato

I've been through quite a few of these glosses now and I absolutely love them so you'll probably be seeing them show up in my empties posts forevermore. I've reviewed Gelato here. Do note that I didn't quite finish this shade because I found that I just wasn't using it enough (even via Project Pan), but I'd got enough use from it that it didn't feel like I was completely wasting it, although it would have felt like a waste of time if I'd kept trying to pan it.

What I love about these is that they hydrate my lips better than most other lip products I've tried, and they also have a plumping effect so they smooth out the look of texture on my lips. On top of that they wear pretty well for glosses and they come in a variety of shades (so there should be something for everyone), plus they're cheap to boot. Love. Repurchase? Already have.

Covergirl Clump Crusher Mascara

Full review here. This mascara is pretty good. The brush isn't too fat so it's easy for me to use and I don't make mistakes with it, it gives reasonable length and volume, and it also doesn't smudge or flake throughout the day. 

While I agree that it doesn't leave clumps on my lashes, what it doesn't do well is separate them - so I always need to go in with an eyelash comb after I use this and of course that's annoying. I also wish that it lengthened and thickened a little better than it does, and that's why it's not my favourite. Repurchase? No.


L'Occitane Almond Shower Oil

Full review here. While this oil costs more than what I would typically pay for a body product, it's super luxe and I'm really enjoying it so I think it's worth the price-tag.

It has a sweet scent that's not overpowering and the texture is rich and gorgeous. Once you add water, it thins out beautifully and also lathers up nicely so it spreads out and cleans the skin well.

It also feels beautifully hydrating and nourishing on my dry skin, and what I find after use is that my skin feels soft, clean and moisturised. It's just a lovely product and I recommend it. I've even given it an HG tag. I've been using it daily over the winter and I'll need to buy it again next year because I enjoy it so much. Repurchase? Yes.

Laura Mercier Translucent Loose Setting Powder

Full review here. I can see why so many people love this powder, although I wouldn't buy it again because I prefer Coty's offering (I've reviewed that here), which is also significantly cheaper.

It's super finely milled so you can get a really thin coating with this, and it feels smooth and silky to the touch - if a tad dry. It applies and blends well, and I agree that it isn't detectable on the skin. It also doesn't sit in fine lines or wrinkles, and I agree that it doesn't look cakey or announce itself as powder on the skin.

I also like that it has a blurring effect so it smooths the look of pores. Do note, though, that it's not as effective at smoothing out the look of pores as the Coty powder, which is one of the reasons why I would opt for the Coty over this one. Yes this airbrushes, but the Coty is in a league of its own. Repurchase? No.


Laneige Lip Sleeping Mask

Full review here. This is one of those products that most people in the beauty community would have heard about by now and it's a favourite for many.

For this reason I was really looking forward to trying mine and while I do enjoy it, it's not anywhere near as hydrating as I thought it would be so I wouldn't call it my HG like many do. 

Sure, it does stay put well so I only need to apply it once and it has made my lips more tolerant to lipsticks etc during the day, but my lips always feel dry underneath the product and it doesn't absorb as well as I'd hoped so I'm not going to rave about it like everyone else seems to. Mind you, it has made my lips feel more comfortable during the day (even though I only use it at night) so I do like it. Repurchase? Yes.

Trilogy Rosehip Oil Antioxidant+

Full review here. This is a nice facial oil and I'm glad I've tried it because it's on my radar now and I may well buy it in future. I've tried a few rosehip oils before but only two of them have stood out for me and this is one of them. 

It feels beautifully rich in texture and just melts into the skin. It somehow manages to be hydrating without feeling too oily - a plus because I wouldn't use it in the morning before makeup application if it were too heavy. This I can happily use both morning and evening, and it works well in both spots. After use, my skin feels nourished and comfortable. It's a great product for dry skin and I recommend it. Repurchase? Yes.


Acure Brilliantly Brightening Facial Scrub

I received a couple of these scrubs as GWPs and this is my second tube so I have none left. I've reviewed it here.

It claims to lift and buff away dead skin cells and built-up dirt and grime, while nourishing, hydrating and brightening the skin. I reckon it does those things, and while it does contain scrubby matter, it doesn't feel too scratchy on the skin and I don't find it to be too harsh. It also contains heaps of scrubby matter, so a little goes a long way and even this 30ml sample lasted me ages. Nevertheless, I still prefer chemical exfoliants so I wouldn't buy it. Purchase? No.

Kate Somerville ExfoliKate Cleanser

Full review here. This cleanser is raved about in the beauty community but it was a little too astringent for me so I couldn't use it twice daily or even once daily (I tended to use it every second day). Indeed, it has a pH of between 7 and 8, which would explain why it's a little too much for my dry, sometimes sensitive skin.

While I did enjoy using it - it smelled nice, it lathered beautifully and it cleaned well - it's not one I would necessarily buy again because I would of course prefer to use something a touch more gentle. Still, I can see why people love it. It's a pleasure to use. Repurchase? No.

In sum

That's all from me. I'm really glad that I've managed to knock out four empties posts this month - it should help me face a less overwhelming empties box as we head into the busy end of the year.

The best items in this lot were the Laneige lip mask, the L'Occitane shower oil and the Alpha-H treatment. Everything else I can take or leave.

Hope all's well with you, and speak soon x


You may also like

No comments:

littlewhitetruths. Powered by Blogger.