Can a beauty junkie go for a year without buying beauty products? Five months down!

/
0 Comments
Five months into the no buy and the cracks are starting to show.

The problem is, when you're (mostly) housebound with a brand new baby, you'll do just about anything to make yourself feel human and, if you have a spare moment to think, all you want to do is treat yourself, to remind yourself that you still have a heartbeat and you're more than just a pair of boobs ; )

Fortunately I can thoroughly blame Mex for the spending that happened in this joint in the last week. You may remember that he's gone on his own no buy as well, after going a little crazy in the Christmas period. But he confessed to me on Monday that he'd bought himself a watch (he's a watch junkie) because he COULDN'T HANDLE IT ANYMORE AND JUST NEEDED SOMETHING NEW.

Ha. Know the feeling ; )

I laughed and said I'd spent the last couple of weeks filling up shopping carts on various websites, and while I hadn't gone ahead and bought anything yet, I bloody well planned to. He told me to go ahead and buy something on his credit card, so while I technically didn't spend any of my own money, I spent his (rather convenient, I must say).

Beautybay has a 20% off deal going at the moment on Kevyn Aucoin products, so I went ahead and bought a couple. Huzzah!

The other purchase that I made this month was (validly) in my no buy rules: I'm running out of shampoo and conditioner, and Priceline had a haircare bag on offer if you spent $40 or more on hair products. 

So hell yes I participated in that one! 

It was one of those situations where heading out to buy my normal (cheaper) hair products a few weeks later would have been shooting myself in the foot: there's easily a year's worth of hair products in that bag (and it's stuff I'll actually use), so I'll wind up better off in the long run.

I must say, I've started to wonder whether I can maintain this ban. While there's so much joy involved in having a new baby, you do need to look after yourself and keep your spirits up through the exhaustion. Even though I'm sleeping better than I have in years, I'm still mentally and physically exhausted: it feels like you're running an endless marathon, with no break in sight. So if allowing myself to buy the occasional beauty product is going to make me feel better, then perhaps I should just celebrate that something as frivolous as a new eyeshadow can achieve that.

Still, I'll see how things go. I don't want to keep going with the no buy if I'm going to keep breaking it, but I also quite like the other things that have come out of it so far: I'm using and enjoying what I have, and I'm starting to make a real dent in a collection that was beginning to look ridiculous. I'm not a hoarder and I don't like having a lot of stuff, and I don't want to have a truckload of makeup hanging around gathering dust.

What I might end up doing after this month (I have to at least get halfway!) is changing the ban to eg a 'one in, one out' or even 'one in, two out' kind of arrangement. Or it may be that this Kevyn Aucoin purchase keeps me going a bit longer, added to the fact that the next edit of Marie Claire's The Parcel is apparently in the post, so that could keep me happy for a while too (one hopes!).

Then it would just be a matter of making it through to 30 June, being my birthday, which has 'more Mecca gift cards please' written all over it...

Watch this space!




You may also like

No comments:

littlewhitetruths. Powered by Blogger.