Marie Claire's The Parcel, Autumn Edit

/
0 Comments

If you read this blog, you'll know that while I didn't think much of the first edit of The Parcel, I loved the pants off the second one.

Unfortunately this one is more like the first and I'm not wowed by it at all. While it's still good value in theory, the excitement factor just isn't there - and the excitement factor is why I subscribe to boxes in the first place.


As usual it's jam-packed with products so it's worth the $25 outlay in that sense. But it doesn't include any brands that I haven't heard of or tried, so that's part of what makes it a ho-hum box for me.


As I was going through the box, I found myself thinking 'that'll get used' for every item I picked up, so that's a good thing at least. But there's nothing I'm going to open straight away because I'm super excited about it, so that gives you a good idea of how I feel about the contents.


Anyhoo. As usual I'll give you my initial thoughts on the box now, and I'll eventually update this post once I've trialled things and can give you my thoughts on them. I'll also do full reviews for most of the products (if not all), so stay tuned for those.


Rimmel BB Cream Radiance in Medium (RRP $12.95; received full size)

I'm a total junkie when it comes to 'lighter' bases like BB/CC creams and tinted moisturisers, so I'm almost always happy to see them turn up in boxes. In this case, however, I'm not feeling the love.

Rimmel is one of the few pharmacy brands that I haven't had any luck with whatsoever, so while I'll give this a go, I'm suspicious to say the least.

Apparently this inclusion is an 'exclusive preview' because this product isn't out yet in Oz. Meh, I don't really care about that ; )

Watch this space. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.


MOR Emporium Classics Snow Gardenia Triple-milled Soap (RRP $19.95; received sample soap)

It says we've received a sample size of this one, but it looks pretty full size to me?

Anyhoo. I love MOR products and am always happy to see them turn up in sub boxes. Unfortunately I don't use soap, but my husband does and he'll be happy to see it.

It smells nice and looks fancy, as MOR products tend to do.

UPDATE: Even though I'm not a soap person, I can appreciate that this is a really lovely product. My husband cracked it open recently and I've given it a few test runs. It smells divine, foams well and feels lovely on the skin. If I were ever going to use soap, I'd likely use something from MOR - but alas, I'm tied to my liquid body cleansers.


Maxfactor Masterpiece Transform Mascara in Black (RRP $23.95; received full size)

Mascara is a 'safe' inclusion in subscription boxes because I'd say that most subscribers use it - I certainly will. But again, the wow factor just isn't there.

Apparently this has a slender wand with shorter bristles, to ensure every lash is coated from the root to the tip. Since the brush maketh the mascara, hopefully this is a good one.

UPDATE: I love this mascara. Full review here. The brush is great and easy to use, and the product itself lasts well without smudging or flaking - plus it lengthens and thickens while still looking natural. Thank god for decent mascaras that don't cost the earth. I recommend this product and it's one I would consider buying.


Neutrogena Makeup Remover Cleansing Towelettes (RRP $3.99; received travel size)

Makeup wipes never go astray and I haven't tried Neutrogena's version before, so I'm happy with this inclusion. But you have to worry about a box when makeup wipes are the best thing I've touched on so far in this package!

According to the card, these won't sting your eyes or cause irritation, but they'll still get the job done. Let's see if they hold a candle to my favourite wipes - Essenzza Fuss Free Naturals.

UPDATE: Full review here. In short, these are good but they're not Essenzzas. They contain plenty of moisture and they're definitely gentle, plus they clean well enough. They don't however remove waterproof mascara, so do be aware of that. I wouldn't buy these, but only because I'm already taken ; )


Garnier Skin Naturals Miracle Skin Cream (RRP $19.95; received full size)

I'm a bit perplexed about this cream - is it meant to be a base product (like a BB) or a primer? Apparently it auto-adjusts to your skintone when you apply it, immediately illuminating and smoothing the skin. It also contains anti-oxidants to tackle wrinkles, dark spots and dehydration.

This sounds a little too similar to a BB cream, and we've already got one of those in this box. Who knows, maybe I'll love it. I do like Garnier's original BB cream so this might be ok.

UPDATE: Full review here. I didn't like this at all unfortunately. It doesn't give me a flattering colour and it also doesn't offer much coverage. Plus you can't build coverage because it doesn't stand up well to a second layer and it looks streaky/starts to flake because it doesn't sink in properly. On top of that I can't wear it with certain primers because it adapts to the colour of the primer where my pores are wider (and therefore the layer of primer is deeper). Avoid!


Lancome Advanced Genifique Youth Activating Concentrate (RRP $95; received 7ml sample)

According to the card, this is a multi award-winning serum that works to repair and reactivate the 10 visible signs of youthful-looking skin (I wonder what those signs are?!). You apply it after cleansing and before moisturising.

This is the only high-end product in the box and probably the only one that interests me - although I've been through a sample of this before, so again, the wuhoo! factor isn't there.

I'm not having a lot of luck with this box, am I?!

UPDATE: Full review here. In sum, I didn't think much of this at all, which surprised me because I normally love Lancome skincare. This product seemed too watery and thin and I just didn't feel any goodness in it. My skin looked no different after application, nor did I see any cumulative effect over time. Indeed, there was no benefit to using this and I wouldn't try it again.


Schick Hydro Silk Razor (RRP $14.25; received one razor and cartridge)

I'm always happy to see one 'basic' item like this in a box since it will save me a purchase. That's really all there is to say about this item!


L'Occitane Dry Skin Hand Cream (RRP $42; received 30ml sample)

I've quite possibly used 64,000 of these in my time: they're often included as GWPs with magazines. It's a decent product and I'll use it, but I really didn't need to try another one! 

UPDATE: Full review here. In brief, I'm not a major fan of this hand cream because it leaves a greasy residue on me and doesn't seem to absorb that well. I also don't like the scent because it's a bit sweet and I prefer stronger, amazing scents that wake up the senses. I don't know why this product is so popular because I think there are plenty of better (and cheaper!) products on the market.

In sum

While this is a good box in terms of value (the RRP is just under $120), I'm not thrilled by it at all. I'm only really interested in the Neutrogena wipes because I haven't tried them, and I'll always accept Lancome products, but that's really all there is to say!

How do others feel about this edit of The Parcel? I have a feeling I won't be the only one who's a little disappointed by it.




You may also like

No comments:

littlewhitetruths. Powered by Blogger.