Fun new things: mini reviews

/
0 Comments

At the beginning of our trip away I wrote a short post on some of the fun new things I was playing with we're away (see that post here) and it's now time to update that post with some mini reviews, since I've used everything and know what's grabbed me and what hasn't.

Note that I'll likely write separate, more detailed posts on the Jane Iredale Primer and the Ren BB Cream, so do stay tuned for those if you're interested in either product.


Ren V-Cense Youth Vitality Day Cream

This is apparently a multi-active day moisturiser that prevents and minimises the signs of premature ageing. It hydrates, protects against free radical damage and smooths fine lines and wrinkles while boosting skin energy and elasticity. 

I've liked this from the first use and it's one I would consider buying. It's beautifully rich and hydrating - interestingly, more so than the corresponding night cream (below) - so I would pick this over that one if you have dry skin like mine. Some might find it to be a little heavy for day use, but I like it for both day and night.

Ren Satin Perfection BB Cream

I received this in one of my Mecca Beauty Loop boxes, and it's meant to be a multi-functional cream that provides flawless coverage, banishes imperfections, and gives skin SPF 30+ and antioxidant protection. It's also designed to tone, firm and boost radiance, and is suitable for all skin types.

I must say, I wasn't sure about this one. I have an application or two left so I'm planning to do a separate first impressions post with swatches, but my feelings on it are that it's not the right colour for me (too pale), I don't like the finish (I prefer more dew) and it's not hydrating enough for me. I'd love to hear what others think of this so let me know if you've tried it.

Ren V-Cense Revitalising Night Cream

This one aims to recharge, revitalise and intensively hydrate the skin overnight, and visibly smooth the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. It also combats uneven texture and tone and is packed with antioxidants, leaving skin looking brighter and more refreshed and supple by the morning.

I did like this and it melted like butter into my skin, feeling wonderful at the same time. But I've used better night creams and I'm not sold on this one - I do however love the day cream so I can see myself using that one for both day and night since I found it more hydrating than this one.


SK-II Facial Treatment Essence

I received this as a GWP and was super excited because it's SK-II's signature product and it ain't cheap, so it's not something I can afford to buy. It contains over 90% Pitera™ (apparently a 'miracle' ingredient) and in fourteen days I should notice a reduction in the appearance of age spots and wrinkles, and improvements in skin texture, firmness and radiance.

This just didn't work for me, although I only used it for around a week (twice-daily), so it's hard to say how it would have performed in the long run. I found that it didn't do much - it didn't even feel nice against the skin or refreshing to use - so I can't see how it would work, particularly given my lack of luck in the past with products containing pitera. Hoh well.

Asap Daily Facial Cleanser

This one is apparently a gentle foaming cleanser that removes makeup (including eye makeup). I haven't had the best luck with Asap skincare in the past, and after using this for over a week, I can safely say that I don't like this product either. It just doesn't seem to clean that well and my skin doesn't feel refreshed after use. I'd go as far as to say that it doesn't do anything at all. Just not for me.


Estée Lauder New Dimension Shape + Fill Expert Serum 

This is apparently an award-winning serum that uses breakthrough shaping technology combined with pro-collagen complex, and is meant to smooth and plump the skin with proven results in two weeks.

I've been using it for almost that long and I haven't noticed any major results, but I do like it and my skin looks brighter and firmer after using it. I'm not sure it's worth the huge pricetag because I've tried better serums, but it's one I've been happy to play with while we're away. Decent, but not a winner.

Jane Iredale Smooth Affair Facial Primer & Brightener

This is described as having anti-ageing properties that even skintone, minimise the appearance of pores and increase luminosity. I've seen that it's for oily skin (my skin is dry) so hopefully it works for me and doesn't dry me out.

I do find this one a little silicone-y and drying, so I reckon it would be much better for oily skin (as it's designed for) and I don't feel that it's for me. Having said this, it does feel nice and smoothing, and I've got quite a bit to play with in the sample so my feelings may change now that I'm home and can test it with different bases. I'll report back with a full review, but my first impressions are that this is like many other pore-plugging primers I've tried and it hasn't grabbed me for any particular reason. Jury's still out, though.

In sum

Some good little products in this lot and some not so good ones. The best in the bunch are the Estée Lauder serum and the Ren day cream, and I liked the day cream so much that I may well buy it in future.

Let me know if you've tried any of the above and what you think if so : )


You may also like

No comments:

littlewhitetruths. Powered by Blogger.