Sachet city: samples used in November 2016

/
0 Comments

As part of my 2016 declutter series, I promised myself I would knock off at least one sachet post before the end of the year. So here it is!

I've been introducing the items in this little bundle over the past week or so, which has ended up being a good thing because I've felt like a break from my regular skincare and these sachets have given me that.

Plus there's been the added benefit of moving a few more things out of my collection before year's end: yes they're only little samples, but I'll take any amount of decluttering these days and the small things do add up : )

Let's have a look.


Verso Skincare Day Cream with Retinol 8

This apparently contains groundbreaking retinol technology, which is less irritating and 8 times more potent, and I've swung between liking it a lot and not liking it at all. 

It's quite greasy, which tends to suit my dry skin and helps temper the drying effect I usually experience with retinol, but for this reason it doesn't sit well under makeup and makes my base look slick. Plus it doesn't absorb completely, meaning it 'pills' off my face when I run my hand over it. Not ideal for a day cream! You'd be better off using this at night I reckon.

Kate Somerville Nourish Daily Moisturiser

This is meant to saturate skin with sophisticated, anti-ageing extracts, and it contains rich botanicals that should improve texture and increase elasticity.

While it's a nice, lightweight moisturiser that absorbs beautifully and keeps my dry skin feeling comfortable, at $94 a pop it would want to be insanely good and I'm not sure it is. It's hard to see benefits from a small sample of course, but I have used samples before that wow me from the first use. This didn't. It's nice but I don't think it's a keeper.

Malin+Goetz Rice Bran Eye Moisturiser

This is an all-in-one eye cream that's designed to combat fine lines, wrinkles, puffiness and dark circles. The good news is that the full-size costs $61, so it's not the most expensive eye cream lining the shelves at Mecca.

While I think it's an ok product, it's not hydrating enough for me - it does hydrate, but my dry skin needs more - and I know I can do better, both in this price bracket and below it. It would be a good eye cream for young lasses who don't have dry skin, but if like me you're getting a bit long in the tooth, you'll likely need something with more punch.


Aesop Damascan Rose Facial Treatment

This is a vitamin-rich moisturising treatment for dry, very dry or stressed skin. It's an oil, which I wasn't expecting, and it smells very strong and woody to me so I'd test this first if you're sensitive to fragrances.

It absorbs beautifully into the skin and hydrates without feeling too heavy. I did really like how this made my skin feel but not enough to buy it, particularly because I don't love the scent.

Clinique Moisture Surge Extended Thirst Relief

This is described as a light, comfortable cream/gel that plumps skin with hydration for a full 24 hours. I liked it more than I expected: it's indeed lightweight like a gel and it's beautifully hydrating without being too heavy.

While it hasn't gone straight to the wishlist as some samples do, it's definitely one I'll keep in mind because it agreed with my skin and Clinique skincare tends to be quite reasonably priced (this costs $60 for 50ml). I'd recommend grabbing a sample of this if like me you have dry skin and are always looking for good, hydrating products that aren't ridiculously expensive.


Darphin Hydraskin Essential

I went into Mecca to grab a sample of a few Darphin products (I'm having some good luck with that brand at the moment) and this was one of the items I'd been meaning to try. It's apparently infused with hydrating plant extracts, and aims to restore moisture levels and create a natural barrier against irritants.

I think it does do those things. It's super rich without being too much and my dry skin really likes it. Good news is, Darphin products aren't insanely expensive (this costs $69 for 50ml) so it's something I'll consider if I need a moisturiser to match the few Darphin products I've bought recently. Worth testing.

Darphin Aromatic Cleansing Balm with Rosewood

This is described as a lavishly rich cleansing balm that sweeps away traces of makeup and impurities, while nourishing skin to relieve tightness and help restore natural radiance.

It smells good and feels wonderful when applied, and it dissolves makeup well and leaves your skin feeling soft and clean. It's one of the better cleansing balms I've used and I may well purchase it in future because I like it more than Sunday Riley's cleansing balm, which is significantly more expensive than this one.

Ren Flash Hydro-boost Instant Plumping Emulsion

As soon as I saw this had been released, I knew I had to try it. Ren treatments tend to agree with me, and since this is designed to hydrate and plump the skin, I knew I would probably like it.

I do. It's wonderfully hydrating and plumping - exactly what my dry, dehydrated skin needs. The only problem was that the staff member who got me this sample didn't give me enough: there was only enough for two (scant) uses in here and I'd need a couple more goes to confirm that this product is for me. So I'll grab another pot next time I'm in Mecca, but I reckon it's safe to say that I'll buy this at some point in future.

In sum

Yay to finishing more sachets! The best items here are the Ren product and the Darphin cleansing balm, both of which I may buy in future.

The others didn't grab me enough so they're not on the wishlist, although I did like the Clinique Moisture Surge too.

Do let me know if you've sampled anything amazing recently: I'd love to hear.


You may also like

No comments:

littlewhitetruths. Powered by Blogger.