The big declutter 2016: the final push (intro)

/
0 Comments

Youtube and the blogosphere are alive at the moment as the panning community rushes to clear out their stores by the end of the year. I've seen countless panning projects on foot - from Finish 12 by Christmas to Finish 17 by 2017 - and while I've decided not to join any of them because I have three panning projects of my own on foot at the moment, I still want to give myself the momentum to reduce my stock so things look less cluttered by 2017.

The three panning projects I'm doing at the moment are Project Pan, Pan that Palette and Project Dent, and while these keep me busy and limit the amount of products in daily use, there's still scope for me - just! - to use other items in the spaces.

Since one of the best ways to keep yourself on track is to make yourself accountable to others, I thought I'd set out what I plan to do by the end of the year. That way I'm more likely to do it! I also thought this post might inspire others in my position (too many panning projects, not enough time) to find ways to clear out a few more items by 2017.

So without further ado, here's my plan:


Clean out the sachets

As you may know, I do a sachets post every month or two - just to make sure that the pile of sachets never gets overwhelming. It's one of those projects that you never quite see the back of, since sachets always somehow seem to turn up, even though I don't actively look out for them.

I've just had a quick look at my stock and there's enough there for two sachets posts, but I'll likely stick to one because the second round comprises mostly base products (like foundation etc) and I would rather keep focusing on my open foundations for Project Dent.

There will also be an additional 'sachets' post dedicated to the truckload of sheet and other masks I recently received from Maslow & Co - items I'll have to make myself use because I don't have much love for sheet masks.

So, I hereby promise to clean out my sachets in November. It won't be easy to squeeze them in because I'm trying to finish full-sized and travel-sized items at the same time, but I'm determined.


Clean out the minis

I've received a bundle of mini and travel-sized items this year - mainly through sub boxes - and while I gotten through quite a few of them as part of my 2016 declutter series, I've somehow managed to acquire more and I'd really like to use those too.

I'm talking about those items that are too big for a sachet post and (probably) too small for full reviews. These things are generally around 5ml in size (depending on the product), and after going through them, I've seen just how many I've accrued. How, I ask you?!

What I'll likely do with these is another 'fun new things to play with' post, so I'll be able to write mini reviews in that (if I can't do full reviews for all of them because there's not enough product to cement an opinion). I may not get to that post this month, given everything else I've got on my plate - including a toddler and a newborn! - but I'll make sure to do it in December.


Finish the stragglers

I have too many items open in the bathroom at the moment (especially cleansers and masks) and I really need to clear those out so I can focus on other things. I had thought I would do a separate declutter post on those, but after having looked at them, I think that post would be a little boring and redundant because some of them have only a few uses left.

Those items include: my favourite cleanser from Suki (the Exfoliate Foaming Cleanser), Kate Somerville's ExfoliKate (the small tube), a Naobay peel (which I don't love but don't hate enough to give away), my Hourglass primer serum (an HG item of mine but my travel-sized bottle has been open long enough), and a couple of travel-sized masks from Alpha-H and Peter Thomas Roth that are on their last legs (both of these are currently on my Project Pan list).

I'll aim to get through all of these in November, so stay tuned for my November empties posts to see if I've managed it!


Keep up the panning project momentum

Like many, I'm experiencing 'panning fatigue' at the moment. This is why a lot of people choose to do shorter panning projects, as opposed to the year-long, rolling kind that have always been my preference.

While I've been pretty good at sticking to my guns throughout the year, during October I lost my momentum a bit and have slacked off with particular items because I know I'll finish those by year's end, so what's the rush? But I'd much prefer to clear them out sooner rather than later; that way I can get new products in and maybe finish a few more to add to my yearly total.

So, I hereby promise to finish the panning year with a bang and push myself right to the very end : )

Restrain the influx

I haven't gone bananas with beauty purchases this year but it's easy to go a little crazy with all the Christmas collections and sample packs that are being released. I've been pretty good with keeping my wishlist under control and not buying anything outside it, but I can see that going out the window with skincare packs especially - it's so easy to fall for a good deal, and the chance to sample a bundle of products from one brand.

I mustn't do it! My skincare stores are looking pretty good and I don't need anything immediately, plus they're not so full that they're overwhelming. I'd like to keep it that way! Also, I'm planning to stock up on Antipodes products when Priceline has its next big skincare sale, and I won't be able to do that if I stock up on Christmas sampler packs that I really don't need.


In sum

That's it! I'm really looking forward to sticking to my plans and having a lighter load of products as we move into 2017. While I do like to have plenty of beauty items to pick from, there's definitely such a thing as too many and I would like to start the New Year will less stock in the cupboards and less open items on the shelves.

Wish me luck!

Let me know if you're trying to pan anything by 2017 and how you're going with it. I'd love to hear : )


You may also like

No comments:

littlewhitetruths. Powered by Blogger.