Sachet city: November 2017

/
0 Comments

I've been really keen to get through more of my sachets before the end of the year so I'm glad I've managed to finish these ones.

I never find it easy to do a round of sachets: yes they're small so they don't take long to finish, but I don't like losing a few days of panning other products so I usually hold off on these posts until I'm starting to get overwhelmed by samples, as I am now.

Anyhoo. Let's have a look at this round of sachets.


Marc Jacobs Undercover Perfecting Coconut Eye Primer

This came along with one of the new eyeshadow palettes Marc Jacobs released (I bought the one in Edgitorial), which I thought was a nice touch because it didn't take up any room in the palette and instead it was just slipped into the box.

It's described as a crease-proof eyeshadow primer that’s formulated with coconut extracts to lock in colour for up to 12 hours. It's quite a thick primer so I was a little worried at first that it might go on too thickly and therefore be a bit drying, but I'm pleased to report that it sheers out very well so that wasn't an issue.

Yes it helps intensify the look of my eyeshadow and yes it helps stop it from creasing, and the last three days have been very hot here so I can confirm that it stands up well in those conditions. Still, it's $37 AUD for the 11g full size so it ain't cheap and I would never get through that much product within expiry so I can't see myself buying it.

Hourglass Illusion Hyaluronic Skin Tint SPF 15 in Warm Ivory

Swatches and second impressions post here. I've already been through four sachets of this product (they lasted me about two weeks) and I went back and grabbed this sample in Warm Ivory because I suspected that it would be my shade match, and I'm pleased to report that it is.

I like this product because I can apply about half a pea and really sheer it out for a light/medium coverage, and it looks beautifully natural on the skin. If I wear more than that then it doesn't look so natural (because it sits on top of the skin, rather than merging with it), but I don't mind that because I prefer a lighter coverage anyway.

Better yet, it doesn't sit in pores around the hairline and it also minimises texture like fine lines and open pores. Plus it lasts well in stinking heat and doesn't break up on me, so I already know that this will be my next foundation purchase.


MAC Lipsticks in Ruby Woo, Velvet Teddy and Diva

I just wrote a first impressions post (with swatches) on these this morning: see here if you're interested. Basically I said that I liked all three shades in theory but in practice they were all too drying for me to wear, Ruby Woo in particular.

Yes I know that many people love MAC lipsticks, but I'm not the first person to call them drying and I won't be the last. My favourite of the three shades was Diva because it wasn't a traditional wine/burgundy and it pulled more magenta on me so it was flattering, and I liked Ruby Woo because it's one of the few reds I've found that I can wear (red doesn't suit me). As for Velvet Teddy, it wasn't warm enough to be flattering on my colouring so it gave me dead-looking lips and really 'pulled down' my face.

While I can't tolerate wearing these alone, fortunately I can wear a gloss with them and they don't automatically travel everywhere when I do that, so if I ever find a shade I really love, then I know I have that option.


Tarte Park Ave Princess Amazonian Clay Matte Waterproof Bronzer and Tarte Amazonian Clay 12-hour Blush in Glisten

I did a first impressions post (with swatches) on these this morning too: see here if you're interested. Long story short, the bronzer was ok but I didn't like the blush at all.

The bronzer was a neutral milk chocolate colour so I think it would be great for fair skintones, but on me it was more of a contour shade so I didn't love it for bronzing. It did blend and apply well, though, and it was softer in texture than the blush although I would still call it a drier formula.

The blush was very dry and very gritty in texture. The grittiness probably came from the amount of visible gold glitter in it, but it was also the driest powder I've ever touched. The colour was a flattering peachy pink and if I wore a tiny bit then the glitter wasn't too bad, but if I built it up so you could see it, I had flecks all over my face and the gold sheen also emphasised texture (eg open pores) something chronic. Foo. Not for me.

Origins High Potency Night-a-Mins Cream

This is described as a mineral-enriched night cream that works wonders while you sleep to diminish dullness and dead skin cells. The formula is enriched with vitamins c, e and h to help restore and hydrate your skin.

I didn't mind this but I didn't love it either. It's a medium thick cream that smells like lemon (yum) and it does spread and absorb somewhat, but it's one of those products that doesn't absorb completely so it leaves a tacky finish on the skin.

I found it reasonably hydrating but I've definitely used more nourishing products that absorb better than this does, so it's not one I would buy.


Omorovicza Omoressence

Since I'm currently testing out some products from Omorovicza that came in a set, I thought it was a good opportunity to grab a few of these and test them at the same time. The product is described as something that sits somewhere between a toner and a serum, and it should balance, soothe, hydrate and prep the skin for the application of subsequent skincare.

Look, it's ok. It's a watery product that has a faint muddy scent (the one I've come to expect from Omorovicza products) and it seeps into the skin very easily. It's refreshing to use but I don't think it does much and I've used other essences that do more than this does, and that are also a lot cheaper than this.

If you're after something from this brand that I think performs better than this does and is in a similar category, I suggest the Queen of Hungary Mist (reviewed here).

Drunk Elephant Lala Retro Whipped Cream

According to the description, classic, old-fashioned formulations and hard-working African botanicals combine to make for a deeply nourishing, restorative cream. It's infused with a blend of six rare antioxidant-rich African oils to heal and renew the skin.

I expected to love this (I mean, rare African oils - come on), but unfortunately it didn't wow me. It smells a bit mealy and almost gluey to me, which is of course not a smell I enjoy, and it also has a very sticky finish that I don't love.

On top of that, I don't think it's being absorbed well because it leaves my dry skin crying out for moisture, so it's safe to say that this product isn't for me. Annoying, because I've heard a lot about Drunk Elephant and I'm keen to try more from the range.

In sum

Hooray to finishing off more sachets! As you may know, I like to do one of these posts every few months - just to keep the sachet pile under control. Otherwise I'd be drowning in them.

Sadly, though, this wasn't a great bunch of sachets and the only items in here that I really liked were the Hourglass foundation and the Marc Jacobs primer. Everything else was a bit hoh-hum.

Hope all's well with you, and speak soon x


You may also like

No comments:

littlewhitetruths. Powered by Blogger.