January empties #2: finished beauty products this month

/
0 Comments

I mentioned in January's first empties post that there would be a second, just because I had so many products to get through and also because I suspected my daughter was about to arrive into the world (she has - yay).

I've been looking forward to knocking off this second post, because that means I can clear the empty containers from my empties box and pretend the house isn't quite as full of junk (who could imagine how much stuff you need for one little person).


Bundle of Adorn samples

I've had these tubs sitting in my empties box for ages and have been too lazy to include them. It's finally time! Unfortunately I'd finished most of them off before starting this blog, otherwise I'd have done reviews of the blushes and bronzers at least.

I ordered two sample packs from Happy Skincare and wound up with Adorn's primer, blushes in Summer and Autumn, bronzers in Winter and Autumn, a liquid foundation and two shades of Adorn's mineral powder foundation. Unfortunately, all three foundations (liquid and powder) were the worst products I've ever used. The liquid didn't absorb at all and looked like a mask - it was unwearable. The powders were so drying that I couldn't wear those either (unless I wanted to look ten years older) and the light/medium shade had...wait for it...noticeable glitter in it (?!). That's right. Noticeable glitter in a powder foundation. My golly.

The primer was neither here nor there and while the blushes and bronzers fared better (and came in lovely colours), they didn't apply well and weren't blendable, meaning I ended up with patchy, wind-punched looking cheeks. I had to use them as eyeshadows to get through them, and they were fine for that purpose.

Repurchase? No!


These three products are from my Project Pan 2015. For full reviews, see as follows:
I won't go into details here because I've done that a few times with these already. What I will say is that I would only purchase the Bodyography powder again (Bodyography complexion products have HG status for me) - the other two were pretty rubbish.


ModelCo Party Proof Cream Lipstick in Incognito

Full review here. This technically isn't an 'empty' product because what I ended up doing with it was donating it to a charity my friend works for that supports disadvantaged women. It's a reasonable product, I just wasn't using it and I didn't want it to sit there growing dust. The quality was ok although it was a little drying and while it did last longer than many lipsticks, it certainly wasn't 'party proof'. I've also been spoiled since I first reviewed this product, having fallen in love with Shanghai Suzy and Lime Crime lipsticks, so I tend to reach for those instead. Repurchase? No.

Mememe Cosmetics Long Wear Satin Lip Cream in Coral Cloak

I absolutely loved the colour of this lipstick, but unfortunately it wasn't a great product. While it was super moisturising and creamy - a dream to wear - I went through it ridiculously quickly because it just didn't stay put. More than that, it seemed to melt when I used it and ended up looking a bit weird and wonky in the tube. I was glad to see it go in the end, as was Mex because it was so easy to apply too much of it and he often ended up with it on his face due to the transferring problems. Repurchase? No.


803 Sam B Breast Cream

Full review here. This was one of those (all too many) Memebox products where the claims went to the moon and back and the product itself didn't deliver a scrap of them. It had a weird, whipped yoghurt-like texture that was pretty unappealing and a strange smell - earthy and dirty, with something chemical in there as well. It also delivered no results. Surprise surprise. Glad it's gone. Purchase? No.

Cheek Room Eye & Lip Makeup Remover

Full review here. Another Memebox inclusion. While it worked reasonably well, I didn't love it. It was super greasy and left a film of oil on my skin. I found myself needing to double cleanse afterwards just to get rid of the product itself and any dirt/makeup left behind. In sum? Don't bother. Another dud from Cheek Room unfortunately, although it certainly wasn't the worst product of theirs that I've tried. Purchase? No.

Holika Holika Pig-nose Clear Blackhead Deep Cleansing Oil Balm

Full review here. Meh. Yet another fail from Memebox. This wasn't a terrible product, it just wasn't great. Any product that promises to 'dissolve' blackheads (ha, haha), oil and impurities is bound to disappoint. I'm not sure you could dissolve blackheads unless you chucked 'em in turpentine or some such. It's very greasy and doesn't clean well (plus you need to use another cleanser to remove this one properly), and once I was about halfway through the tub, I started using it as a foot balm: I recommend it for that purpose at least. Purchase? No.


Terry de Gunzburg Bleu Paradis EDP

The description for this one says 'a mysterious blue rose envelops the essence with warm cedar and reveals a sensual musky base'. I'm not sure about all that, but I did get the whole 'blue paradise' feeling from it - it made me think of Capri, actually - and even smelling the empty vial now makes me think of sunny Mediterranean islands with blue seas and white buildings. Unfortunately you need to wear a bit of it to smell it (at least I did) and it lasts all of about two seconds. Foo. I might have wanted to buy it otherwise - it's exactly my kind of fragrance (fresh and light but still interesting). Purchase? No.

Byredo Parfums Mojave Ghost EDP

This was a little too floral and tart for me. It's described as an oriental floral fragrance with top notes of ambrette (musk mallow) and sapodilla. The middle notes are violet, sandalwood and magnolia; and the base notes are ambergris and cedar. I wasn't thrilled by the fragrance anyway, but it also didn't last well and seemed to 'slip off' my skin not long after application. Purchase? No.


Palan Crysence Home Care Pouch Set

More rubbish from Memebox. (This is why I stopped ordering boxes!) The full size of this set costs $186US and it's apparently 'famous' and praised by hair stylists and top actresses in Korea. In my experience it was complete crap and I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. I can't remember the last time my hair wound up that dry and knotty. Hmph. Purchase? No!

Maybelline Fit Me Foundation in 220 Natural Beige

Full review here. This is my HG pharmacy foundation. It's sheer but the coverage is buildable, and it looks really natural. I'm so glad I've found this product - if I ever run out of the various unopened bases I have on hand (ha), this is on the list to be sourced again. I love that it does the whole 'my skin but better' thing while also evening out my complexion and leaving a nice, dewy finish. Plus it has decent sun protection. Repurchase? Yes.

In sum

This wasn't a great batch of empties in terms of decent products. There are only two products I'd buy again - the Maybelline foundation and the Bodyography powder - and they're both on my HG list.

Still, I'm happy to see another round of empties go out into the recycling bin. Looking forward to next month's empties post; I wonder if there'll hardly be anything in it, since we have a newborn in the house and it's getting harder to find time to actually use anything!


You may also like

No comments:

littlewhitetruths. Powered by Blogger.