Blogiversary series: an update on The Edit

/
0 Comments

I've been meaning to post on update on The Edit for a while, and what better time to do this than during the anniversary week of this blog?

If you haven't seen my previous posts, I decided earlier in the year that I needed to go back to the start of littlewhitetruths and begin editing each post one by one. Since I've now written over one thousand posts, this is no easy task!

While I've edited around two hundred posts over the last few months (and deleted some that weren't worth saving), I still feel like I've barely made a dent in the project. I guess the one silver lining on the editing cloud is that I've gotten past the posts where my photos needed to be re-shot or removed altogether, so at least I can now focus more on the words because the images I'm dealing with, while far from perfect, are better than they were at the beginning.


I'm not sure whether you've ever gone back and edited something you wrote years ago, but it's something of a strange experience. 

In many posts I'm finding a comment or two about what was going on at the time, so the editing process has given me a chronology of the past two years that's quite interesting to see. It's almost been like reading back over an old diary, and since I haven't kept one of those since I was twelve, it's been rather nice to have one (of sorts) and I can see why people write them.

Also, the tone of my posts has undergone a big change, and it did this without my even realising it was happening. I think I've become more involved in blogging as time rolls on, so I've been putting more of myself into it. I suppose that's a good thing, and it must happen to many bloggers who start blogging blindly and then find themselves unable to stop doing it because they like it so much.


Anyhoo. I don't want to ramble on too much here (because who wants to hear that?!), but I did want to let you know that the editing process is still happening and it's taking me a lot longer than I'd hoped. 

Part of the problem is that days often pass where I can't find time to edit any posts, and once you get out of the habit of editing, it's hard to get the cart moving again. Better not to stop it in the first place!

I think that's true of most things in life that involve a good amount of work, yes?

One thing I wanted to stress is that, if you're thinking of going back and editing your old posts (or some other piece of work), I reckon it's absolutely worth doing for all sorts of reasons - not only for the end result, but also for the process and what you'll discover along the way and the memories it will bring. 

It mightn't be easy, but most worthwhile things are not.

Do let me know if you've ever gone back and edited your old posts, and what you've found if so : )


You may also like

No comments:

littlewhitetruths. Powered by Blogger.