Five good things: June 2016

/
0 Comments

I had this idea for a new series of posts ages ago and I completely forgot about it until recently. I only remembered because June has been a rather tough month: our little girl has been bringing all sorts of bugs home from childcare and for the last week she's been the sickest she's ever been (on the mend now, thank golly). This of course means that we're getting sick a lot too, so the bundle of random life things we've had to cope with throughout June has seemed that much worse.

Anyhoo. That's a round-a-bout way of introducing this new series of posts. Since it's been a god-awful month, I thought it would be nice to look back and pull out any positives so I can share them. I've long wanted to post more on non-beauty topics, but life has gotten the better of me and so I've been sticking with what I know. But let's call this a first step towards changing all that : )


Happy birthday to me!

The first positive I wanted to mention is that it's my birthday today - huzzah! The big three-six. How on earth did that happen?

I used to hate birthdays because I didn't like all the attention, but I've thankfully now learned to focus on the better aspects of this yearly event: more catching up with loved ones, a nice dinner or two at my restaurant of choice, and of course the Mecca gift cards I've asked for ; )

Yes, birthdays are happy things. Yay to that.


Project Pan is getting me somewhere

Apologies if you've already seen me go on about this, but I'm so excited that it warrants mentioning again because it's absolutely a positive for the month: I managed to knock off a total of seven Project Pan products throughout June. Unheard of! I'll likely never achieve that again so I'm making the most of it.

Fellow beauty lovers will understand when I say there are few things more satisfying than using and loving something so much that you actually finish it (and get your money's worth ; )), or even finding an alternative use for something you don't love and managing to banish it from your collection for good.

I started Project Pan at the beginning of last year because I just had too much stuff, but now that I've whittled things down, I keep doing it because I like seeing products float out of my collection as the months pass. This opens a spot for a new product or two and it also stops my stash from getting ridiculous. Love that.


The scans are looking good so far (fingers crossed)

As you may know, I'm currently pregnant. While pregnancy and I are not good friends (at all), I still feel blessed and grateful that this one has happened and that the bub is looking good so far.

While most people keep mentioning how quickly this year is flying past, when you're pregnant time feels like an eternity (at least it does for me), and I can't quite believe that I'm still in my second trimester and there's a long way to go yet. But each moment that passes is one less moment of pregnancy ahead, and I'm calling that a positive because a little more time has gone by in June.


The heating in our new house surprised us

This will probably sound absolutely ridiculous, but bear with me ; ). When we bought this house and moved in, summer was approaching and we were more focused on not only fixing up a couple of pressing issues (eg double-glazing the upstairs windows to help buffer sound), but also preparing ourselves for the heat by adding some extra insulation and installing an air conditioner in the living room.

Then in June it suddenly started getting cold and we (belatedly) realised that the house in fact has hydronic heating in every room - which is super effective and cheap to run, and we haven't had to spend a cent on it. Who knew? 

I guess we've been so occupied by toddlers and moving and pregnancy that we never investigated what the heating units were, but this happy discovery has kept us toasty throughout those sour June days. Best of all, the heating appears to be making our toddler sleep for an extra couple of hours each night, so life has been significantly quieter in the early evenings and mornings. Hallelujah!


I've seen more of my siblings

Ever since having my first child, I started to see more of my parents and siblings. It's amazing how a new life can bring old lives together, and ties can happily become even stronger as the family expands.

My parents usually go away for the winter, which means I don't have them around to take my daughter when I need to go to an appointment or do the grocery shopping unhindered. Thankfully my siblings have stepped in to help pick up some slack, and I'm eternally grateful not only for the support but also for the opportunity to catch up with them more often - another positive for the month.


In sum

Them's my positives for June! I'll have to make a note to myself to keep this series going each month because I'm liable to forget things these days, but I do think it's worthwhile to reflect on the month and look at the good things, as well as learn from the bad.

Do let me know your positives for the month - I'd love to hear : )


You may also like

No comments:

littlewhitetruths. Powered by Blogger.