Fun new things to play with 2018 #2: update with mini reviews

/
0 Comments

Today I wanted to update you on how I'm going with these samples, so I'm writing some mini reviews of the above travel-sized items that I've been using for the last few weeks.

Do note that I plan to review some of these items later on, it's just that I'm flooded with posts to write at the moment so those reviews mightn't be up for a while.

Let's have a quick look at how I went with each of the above products.


Cremorlab TEN Cremor Mineral Treatment Essence

This claims to restore your skin's suppleness and natural moisture balance. It contains minerals to deliver hydration, reduce wrinkles, tighten pores, brighten the complexion and refine the skin's texture. 

I've always liked essences because they add an extra layer of hydration without weighing my face down, although I have to say that this one wasn't very good and I didn't feel any real benefit to using it. 

Yes it hydrated my skin a little but that's about it. I guess it was refreshing too. I reckon I can do better, so my search for the perfect essence continues. I want something that feels stronger than plain water, and this wasn't it.


Laura Mercier Translucent Loose Setting Powder

With multiple major awards, this cult-favourite bestseller claims to feel incredibly soft and silky-light on your skin. Pros love the super smooth application: goes on evenly, blends effortlessly, provides great wear. Sets makeup without adding weight or texture.

Thankfully this is as good as everyone says it is and I'm really enjoying it. It smooths out the skin and blurs the appearance of pores, and it's finely milled so I can just use a thin layer and not look too cakey or powdery. 

I do own a full size of this product so I'll be reviewing that down the track, but for now I'll just keep this little container for special occasions. Worth noting is that I don't necessarily think it's any better than Coty's Airspun Loose Powder, so that's worth keeping in mind if you'd prefer to save your pennies.


Laura Mercier Lip Glacé in Bare Naked

This is apparently a high-shine, perfectly pigmented lip gloss with rich, long-lasting colour and brilliant shine that creates the appearance of fuller lips. With a unique blend of moisturising, anti-ageing, antioxidant and plumping ingredients, the non-sticky gloss formula applies smoothly without feathering or bleeding. 

I'm absolutely loving this gloss, I must say - and I do have another one so I'll review the formula in future. I love that it's hydrating enough so I can rely on it for moisture, and I also love that it doesn't sit in lines.

Plus the formula has a yummy vanilla scent and it plumps the lips up nicely. If I'd known how good these were, I might have bought some before Laura Mercier left Australia. Hoh well. My wallet isn't sorry about that.


Hourglass Vanish Flash Highlighting Stick in Champagne Flash

Create an instant flash of glow with these cream highlighter sticks in a smooth, weightless texture that's designed to give you an instant seamless highlight. Long-wearing, innovative formula blends effortlessly into the skin, while soft-focus technology creates a flash of light for a virtually perfect highlight every time.

I think this is a nice formula because you can apply it over powders without upsetting things, and it's so air-light that you can barely feel it on the skin. It's also not a super creamy product so it may suit those with oily skin who prefer creams that feel more powdery to the touch.

I do plan to review this at some point, but I'll need to use it more consistently before I do that. Problem is, I prefer powder highlighters. I also think this one emphasises texture - unusual for Hourglass, I know.


Kate Somerville ExfoliKate Intensive Exfoliating Treatment

Full review here. This is a really fantastic product and I've been through countless sachets and a travel-sized tube already, so you've probably heard me rave about it before. 

It's one of those exfoliants that's not for the fainthearted or for sensitive skin, although my skin can be sensitive and I haven't had any issues with it - so it's worth trying at least even if you're prone to sensitivity (and there's also a gentle version if this one's too much). 

It's one of my favourite exfoliants and it leaves my skin beautifully polished and renewed, and I always look forward to using it because I know my skin will feel smoother for days after use. I can only use it once a week max, however: otherwise it's too much for me.


Inika Loose Mineral Blush in Peachy Keen

This is apparently free of oil, alcohol, talc, fillers, fragrance, preservatives and chemical dyes - so it's great even for sensitive skin. Plus you're receiving nothing but pure pigment, which means a little goes a long way.

This blush is a really lovely colour and it applies and blends well. Problem is, it contains so much shimmer that I personally find it to be unflattering because it emphasises texture. I also don't want my blush to be that glowy: I much prefer a matte or satin blush, so then I can spot highlight. Disco-ball cheeks don't look good on me. Suspect they never will.

I'll be reviewing this later on too, so stay tuned for that if you're interested.


Nip+Fab Kale Fix Dry Skin Moisturiser

This is described as a superfood powerhouse complex of kale, watercress and almond oil that enriches skin with deep vitamin nourishment and protects against external aggressions that can cause dry skin. Concentrated aloe vera and shea butter help to further soothe and improve skin texture, providing long-lasting hydration.

This was a really nice moisturiser. It was rich, hydrating and nourishing, and my dry skin really liked it. While I wouldn't necessarily recommend it for oily skin because I think it'd be a little too much and it does leave a greasy residue behind, for my skin (especially now that it's cold) it worked well. I wouldn't buy it because it wasn't a stand-out, but I liked it while I had it.


Drunk Elephant TLC Framboos Glycolic Night Serum

A cult-favourite for the skincare expert and novice alike, this powerful blend of AHAs and BHAs refines and resurfaces like no other for your smoothest, most radiant complexion yet.

This was a lovely serum and I reckon it did some great things for my skin - it resurfaced, brightened and plumped - but it honestly wasn't worth the $196 AUD that you'll pay for the full-size. Still, I was glad to receive this sample so I could try it.

Yes it absorbed well and yes my face really liked it, but I don't think you need to drop that much on a decent serum. Alpha-H does good serums that also contain active ingredients, and even my HG Lancome serum is half the price of this one. 

In sum

That's all from me. Obviously I still have my work cut out for me because I have a few full reviews to write and some of these products will last me a good while, but at least I've made a start on the samples pile so I'm not feeling as overloaded.

Do let me know if you've tested anything amazing recently: I'd love to hear.

Hope all's well with you, and speak soon x


You may also like

No comments:

littlewhitetruths. Powered by Blogger.