Stila Colour Balm Lipstick in Aubrey, Jessie & Elyssa - swatches and first impressions

/
0 Comments

I've been meaning to do a swatches/first impressions post on this Stila sample card for ages, it's just that I've had so many issues with my photo program that I'm light-years behind.

But we're here now and after this post, I'll finally be able to finish the sachet city post that's been sitting in my drafts for a month now. Phew.

So. These Colour Balms retail for $31 AUD at Mecca and they're described as an innovative lipstick/balm hybrid that softens, soothes and hydrates as it delivers maximum colour payoff. While that all sounds good, unfortunately they contain a good dose of peppermint oil and I have an intolerance to that ingredient so I can't wear them.

Now for swatches.

Elyssa (left), Jessie (middle) and Aubrey (right), direct sunlight:


Indirect sunlight:


Verdict

Just to be clear, this is a first impressions post and not a review so there's only so far I can go with it - particularly because these products don't feel comfortable on my lips, given how much peppermint oil they contain, so I can't wear them for long.

The formula is a thick, sticky balm that applies and spreads well, and while it doesn't feel sticky on, it does feel rather heavy so that's something to keep in mind. The products have a reasonable amount of pigment but they're not super opaque so they should suit those who prefer a slightly more natural lip.

Once on, they feel comfortable overall but I can't cope with them too long because the peppermint stings my lips too much and also dries them out. If you don't have any issue with peppermint oil, however, then they should be fine.

I like how they look on the lips and they offer a nice shiny finish, but although they don't emphasise texture, they don't minimise it either. Given that I prefer something that plumps my lips and reduces the look of lines, I wouldn't buy one of these for that reason alone.

Do also note that these transfer onto my coffee cup, although I would certainly expect them to, given how balm-like they are. Having said this, the formula does cling to the lips ok so they don't wear off as quickly as other similar products.

Overall I don't think these are bad products, it's just that I can't wear them due to the peppermint oil. While that's obviously not a reason to avoid them unless you have a similar issue, the fact that they don't minimise texture might be a problem for you so that's something to be aware of.

Not for me.


You may also like

No comments:

littlewhitetruths. Powered by Blogger.