Sachet city: samples used in April 2017

/
0 Comments

We've headed away for a few days over Easter and I've brought with me a little pack of new skincare to try, and before that I took a break from a few of my products so I could test this bundle of samples. Some of them you'll have seen before but others are new, and I have found a couple of things in here that I'd like to try again so that's promising!

I also plan to write two separate first impressions posts (with swatches) of the foundation and concealer in this bunch, so stay tuned for those if you're interested.

Let's have a look.


Dermalogica Skin Hydrating Booster and Special Clearing Booster

As you may know, Dermalogica is one of those brands that I haven't had much luck with. I've also found - as I did with these two samples - that Dermalogica is far too 'tight' with its sachets: you can't decide whether or not you like something with only one application. What's the point?

But I must say that I really enjoyed the Skin Hydrating Booster (the one time I used it) and if the sample had been larger, I might have been able to reach a decision on whether it's something I would buy. I've been in the market for a booster and I did find this one to be very hydrating, so what I'll do is grab a sample next time I'm in Mecca, now that Mecca's stocking Dermalogica. It's on the list.

As for the Special Clearing Booster, this is designed to help with blemishes etc and I was looking forward to trying it because I do have a few of those at the moment and I'd like to find something to help target them. I got about half an application from this sachet, however (it might have dried out a bit?), so I've no idea whether it's effective. Annoying. I do remember that it had a strong scent.


L'Oreal Absolut Repair Lipidium Shampoo & Conditioner

I've been using pretty rubbish haircare lately (which reminds me that I need to post on the ones I've been using), so I was pleased to discover that this set was very good. They're meant to repair and strengthen damaged hair fibres, leaving the hair feeling instantly repaired as if renewed.

Even though I only got one use from them, my hair felt really good afterwards - soft and manageable - and it looked shiny to boot. The shampoo also cleaned well without stripping my hair, which is something I look for in a shampoo because my hair is dry so it needs TLC but I find that moisturising shampoos often don't clean very well. This one did.

Two more for the list of potentials!


Kate Somerville ExfoliKate Intensive Exfoliating Treatment

Full review here. This is a really fantastic product and I've been through countless sachets and a travel-sized tube already, so it's almost not worth including in sachet posts because you've probably heard me rave about it before. But if I didn't include it, I'd forget to use it!

This is one of those exfoliants that's not for the fainthearted or sensitive skin, although my skin can be sensitive and I haven't had any issues with it so it's worth trying at least even if you're prone to sensitivity (and there's also a gentle version if this one is too much). It's one of my favourite exfoliants and it leaves my skin beautifully polished and renewed, and I always look forward to using it because I know my skin will feel smoother for days after use. I can only use it once a week max, however: otherwise it's too much for me.

Alpha-H Micro Cleanse with Glycolic Acid and Peppermint

Full review here. As you may know, I'm a huge fan of Alpha-H products but this one's never grabbed me. I'm not sure why it's called 'micro cleanse' because the grains aren't fine enough to give a 'microdermabrasion effect' as claimed and I also find facial products containing peppermint to be a bit irritating on my skin.

Indeed, I only used this once on my face and then used the rest of the sachet on my body: this product isn't awful, but I have much better exfoliants to reach for (including two from Alpha-H) so I don't need to use something that doesn't agree with me.

Malin+Goetz Grapefruit Face Cleanser

I've used this before and it didn't grab me any more this time than it has on the other occasions that I've used it. It's a gel cleanser that's designed to gently remove oil, impurities and dirt from the skin without stripping natural oils.

I liked the smell of the product but it just didn't float my boat. It didn't seem to clean that well and I needed to double cleanse with it and then go in with another product to finish the job. Not what you want from a $48 cleanser! This one's a pass for me.


Cover FX Cream Concealer in N-Light, N-Medium and N-Deep

I've used this for three days running now and I have also photographed swatches of all three shades, so I'll attempt to get a first impressions post up in the next few days.

This concealer is apparently designed to provide buildable coverage for both the under-eye area and face to conceal imperfections, darkness and discolourations. 

I've wanted to explore Cover FX as a brand because it's well-respected in the beauty community, but I didn't like this concealer at all. It's very thick so it can look cakey if you don't warm it in your hands first to help get a thinner layer, and I've also found that it shifts and settles into creases throughout the day. Plus it's too drying for my dry skin (and it makes me look drier), so it's a pass for me.


By Terry Terrybly Densiliss Foundation in 07 Golden Beige

This is a multitasking serum-foundation hybrid that delivers anti-aging benefits and a full coverage, matte finish.

It's unusual to receive free foundation samples that are in your shade, but this one happily is: it's just that the undertone isn't yellow enough so it makes me look ashy, but not so much that a good bronzer and blush don't make it wearable.

I can see why people love this because the texture is gorgeous and it's a buildable formula so you can get a light/medium coverage if you want to (that's my preference), but I have also worn more to check that you can get a full coverage as claimed (you can).

My issue with this foundation is that it absolutely stinks of perfume (it smells like Ralph Lauren's Safari to me) so it's not something I want to put on my face, and I also don't like a matte finish because I'm all about the dew - although of course that's personal preference.

It's a good foundation. It looks natural enough (although matte foundation always looks like foundation on me) but it does cost $156 (yikes) so it's not for me. I'd avoid it for the fragrance alone.

Swatches and a first impressions post to come on this product, too.

In sum

Hooray to finishing off more samples. Double hooray to finding two things in here (the Dermalogica Skin Hydrating Booster and the L'Oreal haircare) that I would like to try again because I enjoyed them both.

Do let me know if you've sampled anything amazing recently.

Speak soon x


You may also like

No comments:

littlewhitetruths. Powered by Blogger.