April 2018 empties #1

/
0 Comments

Hello and welcome to my first empties post for the month!

Admittedly most of these are March empties, but I got so behind with everything last month that I wasn't able to do as many empties posts as usual.

No matter. I'll aim to catch up this month.

In no particular order...


Nivea Rich Nourishing Body Lotion

Full review here. I really enjoyed this, and indeed it made my monthly favourites for March. It's a thick, rich but still runny cream with that familiar Nivea scent. I enjoy the smell but it is quite strong so it mightn't be for everyone.

What I like about this is that it hydrates and nourishes my dry skin beautifully without weighing it down or leaving a greasy residue. I also found that it lasted longer than most body creams do: perhaps because it has a runny texture and also because it spreads and absorbs well. A new favourite for me, and even better, it's a cheapie. Repurchase? Yes.

Garnier Skin Active Nourishing Botanical Toner with Flower Honey

This product has had some fantastic reviews and while I thought it was ok, it wasn't super effective so I wouldn't buy it again. I've reviewed it here.

It's a very gentle toner so it doesn't strip the skin or leave your face feeling tight, so it might be a good pick for sensitive skin. Unfortunately, though, it wasn't super effective so it didn't leave my skin feeling clean and toned (which is what I expect from a toner) and it also wasn't soothing or cooling when applied so I didn't enjoy using it. An ok product but it's not for me. Repurchase? No.


Jurlique Rose Love Balm

Full review here. I sent this to my Project Pan list because I didn't love it and I wanted to get through it quickly and focus on something else.

It had a very strong rose stench that I couldn't tolerate on my lips (and I didn't like the taste of it either), plus it wasn't my kind of lip balm because it was slippery and fell off the lips too easily. I got through it by using it on my cuticles and also my dry elbows, knees and feet, and while it worked fine for that, it's expensive for what it is and I burned through it too quickly so it wasn't good value. Repurchase? No.

Rimmel Scandaleyes Reloaded Mascara

This mascara came as a GWP so it wasn't one I would have bought for myself, and while it was ok, it had some issues so I wouldn't buy myself another one. I've reviewed it here.

My first issue was that the brush was too fat, which might be fine for some people but it made putting mascara on my hooded eyes an absolutely nightmare because I ended up with goo everywhere. The brush also had large spacing between the bristles, so it clumped my lashes together and I always needed an eyelash comb when I used it. Plus it didn't do enough for length and volume, so it's not one I would recommend. Purchase? No.


Toni & Guy Instant Refresh Dry Shampoo

Full review here. This came as a freebie with Priceline's Pink Diamond membership, and I didn't like it at all. Reason being, it just didn't work.

It had a nice fresh scent that I enjoyed but it wasn't great at absorbing grease and it also didn't do any detangling or add any shine. I ended up giving it a 'disappointing products' tag because it didn't do much for me at all. Purchase? No.

Mecca Cosmetics Lit From Within Illuminating Primer

This was on my Project Pan list and while I think it was an ok product, I've come to realise that I don't need an illuminating primer: I'd prefer to have hydrating primers and then use a liquid illuminator if I need to. I've reviewed it here.

While I liked that this offered a subtle glow that wasn't too much, I didn't like that it wasn't nourishing enough for me and it also didn't make my makeup last any longer, so although I was happy enough to use it, it's not one I would personally recommend. Purchase? No.


The Ordinary Matrixyl 10% HA

Full review here. I reviewed this recently and it's one of the few products from The Ordinary I've tried that did absolutely nothing for me.

I've seen others comment on how this product hydrates, smooths and plumps the skin, but it didn't do that for me so there wasn't much point in using it. It also had a sticky texture and it didn't want to absorb, so it's safe to say that it's not for me and I wouldn't buy it again. Repurchase? No.

The Ordinary 100% Organic Cold Pressed Rose Hip Seed Oil

Thankfully I really enjoyed this oil and I would definitely recommend it. I've reviewed it here.

It was quite a thick oil and it did leave a residue behind so I wouldn't necessarily recommend this if you have oily skin, but for dry and dehydrated skin like mine, it was perfect. It hydrated and nourished my face, plus it left behind a protective coating on the skin so it was perfect for night use. One to consider as we head into cooler weather. Repurchase? Yes.


Alpha-H Essential Hydration Cream

Full review here. I really enjoyed this cream. It's not fancy and it doesn't perform backflips, but it does hydrate the skin beautifully and that's all I really needed it to do.

It's lightweight (almost a hybrid gel/cream) so it sits beautifully under makeup, but it was also nourishing enough for night use. Plus it's not the most expensive moisturiser on the market (you can find the full size for around $40 AUD) so it's one to keep in mind if you need a fuss-free, everyday moisturiser that works. Repurchase? Yes.

Alpha-H Essential Cleansing Balm

This product was ok. It came in the same set as the above cream and I reckon the cream was the better product. I've reviewed the balm here.

I liked that it smelled nice and that it also worked well as a kind of mask (I often whack my balms on first thing in the morning and then go back and remove them later), but it wasn't that great at makeup removal so I think you can do better. It was also rather difficult to remove - even with a damp face cloth - and I prefer balms that come off more easily. It was ok but not my favourite. Repurchase? No.

In sum

That's my first empties post for April! 

The best items in this lot were the Alpha-H cream, the Nivea body lotion and the oil from The Ordinary. Everything else I can take or leave.

Do let me know in the comments if you've finished anything amazing lately.

Hope all's well with you, and speak soon x


You may also like

No comments:

littlewhitetruths. Powered by Blogger.